Back to business

22 Nov

Hello again, everyone!  Sorry for the hiatus.  I’m in the process of reformatting my blog and took everything down for awhile.  I know it’s still pretty empty up here, but I have to sift through three months of material, which is taking a lot longer than I expected.  I threw some of my better posts back up so that it wasn’t completely empty on my first day back. Expect some more material to appear in upcoming weeks, as well as a ton of new updates, because I’m finally back in business.

I’d like to say that tremendous things have happened since I last updated, but everything’s been pretty much the same.  I’ve been working five days a week and relaxing on the weekends.

Addam was home this past Saturday and Sunday, which, if you know anything about the restaurant industry, is as close to a miracle as you can get, especially considering he’s asked for  every weekend in December off.  We’re having family come in from Ohio next month.  His parents and uncle will be coming down the weekend after Thanksgiving, and his sister and her boyfriend, Ryan, are coming to Miami for a cruise the next week.  They’re going to stay with us the weekends before and after.  Super excited!  It’s been so long since we’ve seen any of the fam, and I’ve never gotten to meet Emily’s fella.

Saturday was the Bayside Rocks Festival, so we went downtown to see if we could catch part of the show.  We didn’t have money to get in, so we spent most of the day walking around the city and straining to hear any bits of Steel Pulse and Bunny Wailer that we could catch.  Which wasn’t too much, but we still had fun.

Sunday was rainy, but we decided to ignore the weather and bike down to Miami Beach.  It was slightly chilly, not Chicago chilly, but chilly — so we didn’t swim.  We watched the sun go down and headed home.

Before we reached the apartment Addam and I had to stop by Publix to pick up something for me to take to the office’s Thanksgiving party.  I would have baked something, but we have a gas stove, and it broke down over the weekend.  My fingers are crossed that everything will be up and running by Thursday, because I don’t know how Addam and I would make it through the holiday without a home-cooked meal.

I brought a pecan danish to the party.  I don’t like nuts, so I didn’t try any of it, but I highly enjoyed the dishes that everyone else brought.  I don’t know that my waistline is going to like having two big dinners this year, but I certainly did.  I maxed on mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, rolls and green bean casserole.  I don’t think I could possibly eat another bite for the rest of the night, and I didn’t even make it to the chocolate cake.

In other news — the inevitable finally happened.  Try as I have to protect her, Yoga got fleas.  Apparently the Miami heat just couldn’t be tamed, because even once we thought they were gone they came back for a round two.

Here’s how it happened.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed Yoga scratching at herself more than usual.  I checked her out and didn’t notice anything, but it kept persisting so I had to take a closer look, and yep.  She had them.  I was mortified!  The poor little girl probably thought she had caught a deadly disease, because I spent an hour searching through her few strands of hair, trying to pick out all the bugs I could find.

But here’s the thing — Yoga doesn’t have much hair, and I really couldn’t find many.  Still, whenever I would think that I had gotten them all, I’d notice her scratching and find another.  One day and about five baths later, still short the money to buy a hundred dollar application of Frontline, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I’m going to qualify what I am about to tell you by stating that what I did was completely ridiculous and that it worked — all-be-it briefly.

I read online that you could drown fleas.  Of course, this entails having a dog is is willing to sit in a tub of water for long periods of time, which Yoga is not.  So…Addam took an old apron, wrapped her up in it, and we held her under the water for about ten minutes.  No — I did not try to drown my dog.  Her head was completely out of the water the entire time, and Addam and I did not take our eyes or hands off of her for a second.

We went a week without seeing a single sign of fleas or scratching and thought that the nightmare was finally over.

Well, apparently fleas are everywhere in this city, because she got them again.  I found a couple crawling on her when I was waiting for the bus this morning.  This time Addam and I did it right.

When I got home from work today Addam had already given her a full flea bath (with shampoo this time) and had picked up topical flea drops.  A pack of four will last four months, so we should be covered for awhile.  I never thought I’d have to use the information I picked up at PetSmart, but I’m really glad I knew how to take care of this problem before it got out of control.

That is really all that I have been up to, folks.   I promise, my next update will be much sooner.

“My formula for living is quite simple.  I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night.  In between, I occupy myself as best I can.” — Cary Grant, actor (1904 – 1986).

One Response to “Back to business”

  1. Steven Evans November 23, 2010 at 10:25 am #

    I am glad you are posting again. I enjoy reading them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: