Weddapalooza: Friday, August 19

31 Aug

The bachelor parties wore us out, so Addam and I made a point of sleeping in on Friday. Once we were well-rested, Ben, Chris and Andrew met us at the apartment and drove us over to Crandon Park for our second wedding rehearsal. (Or our first official one, depending on how you choose to look at it.)

Before hitting the beach the guys and I stopped by a grocery store to stock up on food for the reception cook out, a tux shop to pick up Addam’s suit for the wedding and a printing place to print out a guest sign-in poster that I designed for the reception. The tux shop was a bust because we got there a little too early and it hadn’t been delivered, but everything else was a great success.

We made it to the wedding location around 4 p.m., and there was already a group of people waiting for us. Once everyone got there we started planning out exactly how we wanted everything to look.

In the end we decided that Ryan should walk down the aisle first, as he was going to play the guitar throughout the ceremony, followed by John, our officiate.  Addam would escort Judy, followed by Ben and my mom, and the rest of Addam’s groomsmen — Winston, Matt (our last minute, but totally awesome, addition), Andrew and Chris. My maids would come next, with Danae followed by Stephanie, Tati, Courtney, Katie, Heather and Emily. Yoga would run the rings down the aisle, and then  Steve and I would walk. After the ceremony we decided that Addam and I would walk out first, followed by Ben and Emily, Chris and Heather, Andrew and Katie, Matt and Courtney, John and Tati, Winston and Stephanie, and Ryan and Danae. Not everyone could make the rehearsal, but the majority of us was there, so it worked out.

With so many people it took awhile to plan out exactly who should walk when and where. After about an hour, give or take, we were confident that we were adequately prepared and would not embarrass ourselves. (Yoga, on the other hand was a different story. While I thought it would be easy to get her to run in a straight line toward her daddy, it was harder than I imagined.)

After practicing Addam fired up the grill for the rehearsal dinner. The grill was pretty small and we were a big group, but we managed to get all the hamburgers (and veggie chicken burgers) cooked before the park closed. In the meantime there was plenty of hummus, beer and wine to go around — so we managed to survive despite the wait.

We had planned to have the bridal shower at the same location as the rehearsal dinner, and it was so nice out that we could have stayed out there all night, but a ranger eventually came by and told us that the park was closing. Even though there was plenty of light left in the day, we had to head back to the Hilton to continue the party.

While I was nervous that not many people would make it back to the Hilton for the bridal shower, the turn out was actually better than the reception dinner! As soon as we got there we were greeted by Addam’s Aunt Ginny and Uncle Dave, who had just made it to Miami, and Winston, Addam’s long-time friend and groomsman.

I’ve met Ginny before, but really only in passing. We’ve been talking more via Facebook since Addam and I became engaged, so I was really excited to see her again. I hadn’t seen Winston since a few years after Addam graduated high school, so you best believe that I jumped right in to his arms and went in for the bear hug! You never realize how much you’ve missed someone until you finally see them again.

Emily had to run to Target for some last minute shower stuff, so we held out on the festivities until she got back. Fortunately, it all worked out, as Ginny surprised Addam and I with a scrapbook of photos dating back from before Addam was born. There were pictures of Steve and Judy from right before they got married and of Addam from right after he was born. I’ve spent many a night flipping through the Evans family photo albums, but Ginny really surprised me with some I had never seen before. I love photos, and it was quite possibly one of the most heartfelt and original gifts we received all weekend.

Once Emily made it back we cut the cake and started digging into presents and party favors. Emily got all the ladies cute notespads with our initials and sketches on them. (I got an A and an anchor, Katie got a a K and keys, etc.) She had planned out a whole newspaper theme, so they were all wrapped in old issues of USA Today. Very, very cool and exactly my style! (Not only was the wrapping journalism related, it was completely recycled!)

Once all the presents were unwrapped and most of the cake was eaten,  the ladies and I decided to bring the party up a notch with a last minute, completely improvised, shower game.

Katie, Courtney and Tati got together and made a list of things I had to do before I got married, which included everything from getting a piggyback ride through the Hilton lobby, running through the hotel fountain, begging for wedding donations and making prank phone calls announcing that I’m calling off the wedding. I called Krysti, who was minutes from the hotel, and told her I wasn’t marrying Addam because he went  to a strip club during his bachelor party. The poor girl spent five full minutes trying to pry me off the ledge before I finally let her in on the joke. I told Danae that we couldn’t pay our planner so she called off the entire wedding. Evil I know, but blame my maids ;).

Perhaps the best and most original dare on the list was to get Heather, who is seven months pregnant, to pee on a pregnancy test I got at my bachelorette party so that I could “break the news” to Addam. While I never quite got to that one, I had a blast trying to making my way through the other tasks.

After bridal shower antics were complete, I headed back to my apartment with Heather, Krysti and Krysti’s boyfriend, John, who got to the Hilton midway through our little game. Heather was pretty exhausted, so I lent her the bedroom so Krysti and I could catch up. After a few episodes of Silent Library (who knew that show still came on?) and after I ran through my vows a couple of times, she and John took off, and I headed to “bed.” (I say “bed,” because I was actually sleeping on a cot and was too excited to get any real rest. I wanted to look good for my big day, but the idea of marrying my best friend kept me from getting much shut eye.)

It was my final day as a “single woman,” but it was a very good one. Of course, the next day would be the best of my life…

“Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.”  — Antoine de Saint-Exupery, French writer (1900-1944).

4 Responses to “Weddapalooza: Friday, August 19”

  1. Emily Evans August 31, 2011 at 2:09 am #

    these are SO fun to read!!! and i bet they’re fun to relive too 🙂 one of the best weekends of my life, hands down.

  2. Chuck Bass August 31, 2011 at 7:21 am #

    Here, here! I second what Emily said! 😉 You are putting together an amazing record of that amazing weekend… these should totally be printed out for the scrap book!

  3. Sheryle August 31, 2011 at 9:36 am #

    I have to second and third the above comments! It is such a joy to read. Thank you for sharing. Trust me after 34 years of marriage I so enjoy reading the diary I kept. You will treasure these always.

  4. Moma September 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

    I love reading these. you should do this forever. sometimes after years go by, we forget so much. Love and miss ya both!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: