Weddapalooza: Saturday, August 20, Part I (UPDATED!)

7 Sep

I was up late hanging with John and Krysti the night before, so the morning of my wedding came quickly. As soon as I got up and hopped in the shower I gave Emily a call, who arranged to have her Uncle Keith transport Heather and I to the Hilton. (Thank God for Uncle Keith. He was one of the only people who rented a car for the weekend, so he quickly became our personal taxi. All jokes aside, I really don’t know what we would have done without him.)

As soon as we got to the Hilton, the girls (Heather, Emily, Courtney and myself) hopped in JoAnn’s car and headed to a beauty school to get our hair did. Katie met us there shortly after, and by 10:30 or 11 a.m. we were seated and ready to go. JoAnn surprised us with manicure and pedicures, so we definitely got the star treatment.

As much fun as I had being pampered, the whole ordeal ended up taking a lot longer than I expected when I walked in. After two hours the woman who was working on me was still straightening my hair and hadn’t even begun to look at my nails. We came in with a lot of time to spare, but after awhile it became apparent that if Addam and I wanted to get married at 4 p.m.  I was going to have to get things moving.

Fortunately I had Katie by my side, who was more than willing to take charge. Her hair was done pretty quickly, so she pushed until three ladies were working on my hair and another on my fingers and toes. While I will admit that I was getting pretty irritated for minute there, I can’t complain. Everyone looked absolutely fabulous by the time we left for the Hilton. I wanted all my girls to wear braids, and I couldn’t have asked for better results. Everyone looked very ’40s, which is exactly what I was going for.

While the girls and I were getting dolled up, Addam was running all over Miami trying to tie together loose strings. He had to pick up his tux and find my veil, which I had left at the apartment. As if that was not enough for him to deal with, the woman who designed our cake couldn’t deliver it to the reception location. He had to run with his dad and Uncle Keith to Hollywood to pick it up.

Addam’s tux was waiting for him as soon as he walked into the suit shop, and the cake looked amazing. Addam delievered the goods to Jungle Island without incident, so everything worked out despite the rush.

I had called Edé, our photographer, from the beauty school, so by the time my girls and I made it back to the hotel he had been photographing the boys getting ready for about an hour. Since our hair and nails tooks so long, my maids and I were frantically working to get ready in time. I texted Edé as soon as I got back to Emily’s room, so he could get some photos of us as well.

Alena, who I work with at Miami Today and who graciously volunteered to help me out with my makeup, met us at the beauty school, but there were so many people working on me that she didn’t have a chance to do much of anything. She started on my makeup as soon as we got back to the Hilton.

We only had about a half hour to get ready, but I had six of my best girls around me to help me suit up and strap in. Courtney used to work at a flower shop, so she helped place calla lillies in Heather, Emily and my hair. (Thank goodness she was there, as we probably would have looked a mess without her.)

As beautiful as all my maids looked, the most heartfelt part of getting ready was placing a necklace my dad had given to my mom as an anniversary gift around Emily’s neck. Even though I know that he was watching over me every step of the way, the necklace was a nice reminder. I couldn’t think of a better girl to keep his spirit close on my wedding day.

After taking a few photos and scarfing down some junk from a vending machine, the first food we had seen all day, the girls and I were ready to head to Crandon Park. We made our way to the hotel lobby and practically pushed the boys out the door so that we could all make it to ceremony on time.

Addam and his poor groomsmen had to squeeze into Ben’s Tracker, and by the time they were all in the thing looked like a clown car. Addam was sitting on Winston’s lap and two boys were in the trunk, but they somehow made it work. As soon as they were out of sight, my maids and I followed suit. We packed ourselves into JoAnn’s car and headed to Crandon Park in what would become my last ride as a “single woman.”

“Here’s to the groom, a man who keeps his head though he loses his heart. A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Here’s to these beautiful bridesmaids.” — Anonymous.

2 Responses to “Weddapalooza: Saturday, August 20, Part I (UPDATED!)”

  1. Emily Evans September 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

    i love you :’) randomly thought of the wedding today and started tearing up….as i walked to class haha

  2. judy evans September 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

    Such a FABULOUS day from beginning…………………..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: